Tuesday, June 28, 2011

It Is Finished!!!

Receiving my Purple Heart certificate!
My last chemo treatment is finished!  What a wonderful day!  About 30 minutes before I was finished, Steve and I were sitting in the chemo lab reading, when in walked my dad, and nephews, Grant and Graham!    We were visiting with them, when a few minutes later my brother, Gary and sister-in-law, Sheila walked in. About 5 minutes before my treatment was finished, G.B. and Shara walked in!!  We had quite a crowd in the lab for "the last drop"!  When the nurse came to unhook me, she brought me a certificate, signed by the nurses and Dr.!  I finished with a cheering section!  And I am finished!  I can't say it any better than with the Psalmist, who said, "I will bless the Lord at all times, His praise shall continually be in my mouth." (Psalm 34:1)

Shara and me doing the NO MO CHEMO dance!
My counts were improved.  The Dr. said it is "worrisome" that my bones haven't produced blood cells like he had hoped they would, which could indicate that it might take me longer to recover from the chemo.  So, I still need prayer for my bones.  He will check my blood weekly at first to monitor my counts.

Steve asked the Dr. the risk of the cancer coming back.  He said there is a 10% chance it would reoccur within the next 5 years.  I'm counting on the 90%.  But, they will do surveillance for five years to watch for any reoccurrence.



I plan to post an update next week, but after that will only keep you posted if there are any development of interest.  I will definitely update if I need people to pray.  As I've said before, your prayers have been the key to my surviving this ordeal.

You, my friends, have been an immeasurable source of support during the past months.  I cannot begin to enumerate the ways that support has been demonstrated, but I will give you a sample of what I have received – from you! 

Beginning with prayers.  Not only have you prayed individually, but many of you have shared with me that you have put my name on your church prayer chain, given my name to an intercessory prayer group, had my name said in special healing masses, etc.  I spoke Sunday to a former parent in one of the schools where I was principal in STL.  She said she is up at 3:00 or 4:00 in the morning, interceding for people who have needs and that my name is on her list.  Your prayers have made the difference for me.  Thank you, thank you!!  And thank you, Lord, for hearing our prayers!

Cards.  Very few days have gone by that I have not received at least one card and many days there were several in the mail.  What an encouragement your words and thoughtfulness have been!  I have the cards all saved in a box!  I’m not sure when I will be able to part with them.  They really mean a lot to me!  Thank you!

Gifts and food!  My goodness!  It was so much fun to get gifts in the mail, have them delivered at the door, or brought in person!  I will never remember to mention each one, but I’ll give you an overview of what I’ve enjoyed.  A hand-crafted cross that is sculpted to fit my hand – to hold when I’m frightened (occasionally I’ve put it down! J), homemade chicken noodle soup (when I could barely eat anything else), homemade cookies, homemade muffins, homemade cinnamon rolls, homemade banana cake with cream cheese icing (some of these were specified as being  for the purpose of helping me gain weight!), edible fruit bouquet, a cookie bouquet, homemade matzo ball soup and gefilta fish (Kosher at Passover time from my best Jewish friend, and my stomach loved it!), hats, caps, chemo head wraps, pajamas, socks, ice cream treats, Ted Drewes….I think I’ve thanked each one of you individually, but thank you again to all of you who brought or sent “things” to cheer me up.  Since my stomach has stayed “mad” most of the time during the past months, each new thing to try was a treat.

Visits, calls, emails, text messages, Facebook messages!  There’s no way to express how much it meant to know you were thinking of me.  Thanks for taking the time to let me know.  My aunt and uncle traveled here from Springfield, MO three different times during the past six months – just to be here, to help, or to cheer me up!  And your communication with me has meant just as much.  Thank you, thank you!

I am overwhelmed, humbled, and eternally grateful to you for reading this blog, for staying in touch and providing support in whatever way you have been able.  My journey is not over, as you know.  There will be lots of check-ups.  And I will let you know how I'm doing.

Today's song that was in my mind when I awakened was an old one by Bill and Gloria Gaither.  The words are as follows:

We are so blessed, By the gifts from your hand.
I just can't understand why you loved us so much
We are so blessed, We just can't find a way, or the words that can say,
Thank you, Lord, for your touch.

Yesterday, Psalm 103: 1-3 was brought to my mind.  I've memorized it as a little girl, read it many times, but yesterday when I read it, it expressed my feelings so perfectly:
Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name!
Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits,
who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases.....
AMEN!

If you are in town this coming Sunday, July 3, come on over.  If I've forgotten to invite someone, invite them and come on over to our house for the NO MO CHEMO Re-birthday party!  Food will be ready at 1:00 and we will be on the patio and/or in the downstairs if it's too hot.  Here's a picture of part of the group who will be there!
Outside the medical building
If you are interested, there are a couple more pictures at https://picasaweb.google.com/cjc2751

1 comment:

  1. You ate all that and still lost weight? I am jealous. You're looking good. Wish we could be there on Sunday, but I'm trying to get my thesis ready for final review by mid-July - final deadline is Aug. 1. And with the flood waters around us there seems to be no easy way out of here unless you're headed west. Have a great day on Sunday. We will continue to pray for you.

    ReplyDelete